NEWS & INFORMATIONAL RESOURCES:
- December 8, APG would like to congratulate the following winners of the general election: Statewide: Kyle Ardoin, Secretary of State. Calcasieu Parish: Vic Salvador, City Marshall of Lake Charles; Fredman “Fred” Hardy, Jr., Member of Calcasieu Parish Schoolboard (District 2); Desmond Wallace, Member of Calcasieu Parish Schoolboard (District 14); Riley Smith, Mayor of DeQuincy; Paul Hesse, Mayor of Iowa. Jefferson Davis Parish: Roger D. “Tony” Laughlin, Mayor of Elton. Allen Parish: R.J. “Randy” Credeur, Alderman of Reeves; LaToya Tunwar, Council Member of Kinder (District 1). View results and more information at geauxvote.com.
- December 7, Calcasieu Parish Police Jury approves $35 million to finance new facilities for Family and Juvenile Court, Coroner’s Office, Animal Services and Juvenile Justice. See news story here.
- We are excited to announce Amanda is APG’s new intern working in the office. She is in her third year at McNeese State University. She is majoring in mass communication with minors in English and Spanish. She enjoys writing and working with digital media, including web design, digital art, and multimedia publishing.
- October 11, APG founder and president Matt Redd spoke at a West Calcasieu Chamber of Commerce meeting. Read the story on Southwest Daily News here.
- August 4, Governor Edwards praises SWLA economic activity at inaugural awards banquet. See full story in American Press here.
- August 2, APG holds inaugural awards banquet. See KPLC coverage here. See complete list of winners here.
- May 23, APG extends Positive Growth Awards application deadline to Saturday, June 9. See the full press release here.
- May 1, APG Members discuss inaugural Growing SWLA Strong Positive Growth Awards on Fox 29 Morning Show. See the full interview here.
- March 16, APG’s Education Committee supports Calcasieu Parish School Board’s $50 million capital spending decision. See full news release here.
- January 31, Further coverage of APG’s co-hosted event with the Empire of the Seed luncheon and presentation by the Water Institute of the Gulf. The group shed light on flooding issues in Louisiana. Click here to read American Press article.
- January 31, Community, government and business leaders invited by the Alliance for Positive Growth and Empire of the Seed heard from the Water Institute of the Gulf- which has several projects in Southwest Louisiana. Click here to read the full KPLC article.
- November 19, Further recognition of APG’s efforts on drainage improvements and work with the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury on new, revised drainage ordinances in this American Press editorial.
“Members of the group, Alliance for Positive Growth Southwest Louisiana,
were some of the most vocal about issues they had with the proposed changes.
They were pleased with the Police Jury’s willingness to compromise.
But APG board member Bart Yakupzack said the parish needs to come up
with a written plan that addresses other drainage issues,
like maintaining watersheds and upgrading
roadside ditches and laterals.”
- December 5, Mayor Hunter says drainage is a top infrastructure focus for the City of Lake Charles. Click link to watch Tuesday’s press conference, Mayor Nic Hunter talks drainage.
- November 17, Progress on drainage! The Calcasieu Parish Police Jury voted to approve a revised drainage ordinance at last night’s meeting. Click here to read the American Press article. Click here to watch our board members, Michael Hankins and Bart Yakupzack, address CPPJ on this C-GOV link at time marker 19:24.
- November 16, APG membership votes to support passage of four CPSB bonds on November 18th ballot. Click here for the full news release.
- November 14, Drainage Liaison Committee approves ordinance. Click here to read American Press article.
- October 16, Calcasieu Parish District Bond Election FAQs
- September 21, National recognition by Business Facilities magazine on the growth surge in SWLA. Click here to read more.
- September 14, HARVEY’S HEROS: We are proud to be working with the City of Lake Charles and several local organization to help our neighbors in Southwest Louisiana who suffered damage from Hurricane Harvey. Give us a call at 602-6788 for more information and to learn how to help.
- September 10, Good news for Lake Charles; Mayor Nic Hunter said the city was able to balance its budget while increasing money for drainage and other initiatives by prioritizing spending.
- August 8, Parishwide Drainage Liaison Committee Hears Ordinance Revision Proposal
- July 20, KPLC covered our monthly meeting and aired a segment about the drainage issues facing our area.
- April 3rd, APG members attend Developer’s Round table.
- March 17th, Feature article appeared in Lagniappe Magazine
- March 14th, KPLC’s Theresa Schmidt aired a story about the March 13th meeting at the Historic Cash and Carry as did the American Press.
- March 13, APG highlighted in Thrive Magazine.
- Feb 9th, Thrive magazine reports standing room only attendance at launch meeting held at Walnut Grove. Over 200 attend to support and learn more about the Alliance for Positive Growth.
- Jan 20th, Fox 29 coverage of Jan 18th meeting.
- Jan 20th, American Press coverage of Jan 18th kick-off meeting.
- December, 2016 Jeannie Weise Named Director of Alliance for Positive Growth
Lake Charles native, Jeannie Weise, has been named Director of the Alliance for Positive Growth (APG), an organization of professionals in the fields of real estate, development, construction and all other interested parties working together to promote strong, beneficial growth in Southwest Louisiana. Weise graduated from McNeese State University and has worked locally in the marketing/public relations field for several years, most recently working with former U.S. Senator David Vitter.In her new role, Weise will work with the membership of APG to achieve their goals of actively supporting sustained, progressive growth and development in Southwest Louisiana.
MEETINGS & EVENTS:
- August 2, Governor John Bel Edwards spoke at APG’s 2018 Growing SWLA Strong Awards banquet.
- June 21, Sulphur Mayor Mike Danahay spoke at APG general membership meeting.
- May 22, Jason French and Heather Hohensee of Tellurian, Inc. hosted a breakfast meeting for our members. View photos from the meeting here.
- April 19, Calcasieu Parish Police Jury Director of Planning and Development Wes Cain spoke at APG general membership meeting.
- February 15, Lake Charles Mayor Nic Hunter and City Administrator John Cardone discussed city infrastructure projects at APG’s first membership meeting of 2018.
- January 31, APG was proud to co-sponsor The Water Institute of the Gulf event with Empire of the Seed. We thank Rick Richard, Vice Chairman of the Institute, for organizing the event and hosting it at the Paramount Room. We also thank our guest speakers from the Institute, President & CEO Justin Ehrenwerth and Research Scientist Dr.Francesca Messina. Attendees received a briefing on the Institute’s important work here in Lake Charles to ensure that our economy and community is best prepared to deal with the challenging water issues our future holds. Their work being done to help the Port of Lake Charles become more sustainable and resilient was discussed, as well as efforts to ensure that our leaders and first responders have the best information possible related to future storm events.
- December 18, APG Holiday Sip & Support was held at Bodega. 10% of the ticket sales were donated to Harvey’s Heros.
- November 1, Rayne Mayor, Chuck Robichaux, was guest speaker at the APG General Monthly Meeting on Thursday, November 16 @10 am, SEED Center, 2nd floor, Willis Noland Conference Room, 4310 Ryan Street, Lake Charles, LA 70605. Mayor Robichaux provided a presentation on how the City of Rayne tackled their drainage problems, through a manufactured design that ultimately won an impressive LMA’s 16th Annual “Best of Show Award” for its Phase II Drainage Improvements. Click here to watch the video.
- July 5, Newly sworn-in Lake Charles City Council members and Alliance for Positive Growth pledge/scoring committee members have joined forces to work towards positive growth for our area. See photo here.
- May 9, Bryan Vincent’s Economic Research Committee holds highly successful meeting. Solidified purpose. Committee members took part in a Think Tank-like discussion. Volunteer responsibilities determined.
- April 24, numerous APG members attended briefing session hosted by Calcasieu Parish Police Jury regarding proposed new ordinances.
- April 24, Board of Director’s meeting. Pledge/Scoring committee chairs report progress and scope of work needed regarding scoring system.
- April 22, Brent Lumpkin and MK Hopkins’s Pledge/Scoring Committee begin meeting with candidates for city council and Mayor to secure signatures on the Pledge.
- April 19, APG co-sponsored the Lunch with the Next Mayor forum with the SWLA Economic Development Alliance.
- April 19, several APG members attended City Council meeting. Tim Flavin addressed the Council and congratulated the City and Parish for their efforts to work together regarding drainage.
- April 18, Board of Directors adopts candidate and elected official’s Pledge.
- April 12, Executive Director Jeannie Weise spoke at the Kiwanis Club of Southwest Contraband.
- March 16, APG hosted a meeting at the Moss Bluff Branch Library. Good turnout and great conversations on how we can achieve positive economic growth by working together.
- March 13, New and prospective members attended a Welcome meeting at the Historic Cash and Carry. President Matt Redd reports that in 2 months, membership already at 80!