NEWS & INFORMATIONAL RESOURCES:
- April 2, A new initiative was created to solve the growing homeless problem in Southwest Louisiana. Read more here.
- March 21, Calcasieu Parish Police Jury voted in favor of the Drainage Committee’s plan to consolidate the existing drainage districts down to two seven-member boards. Read more here.
- March 13, Sulphur City Council passed an ordinance to deter commerical truck traffic. Read more on KPLC here.
- March 12, a Calcasieu Parish Police Jury drainage committee recommended a plan to consolidate drainage districts down to two seven-member boards. Read more on the American Press here.
- March 12-14, the City of Lake Charles is hosting neighborhood meetings to gather public feedback. See more information here.
- February 19, Calcasieu Parish Police Jury plans to address flaws in the parish’s drainage system. Read the American Press story here.
- February 19, the Louisiana Watershed Initiative held a best practices summit in Lafayette. Read more on Facebook here.
- February 19, The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development and the Federal Highway Administration conducted a public meeting in support of safety and mobility recommendations contained in the LA 385 (Ryan Street) Feasibility Study. Read more on KPLC here.
- February 12, Read about Lake Charles Mayor Nic Hunter’s drainage progress report on KPLC here.
- January 17, the City of Lake Charles Department of Planning & Development invited APG to attend upcoming “listening sessions” related to the update of the city’s most important planning and zoning documents. View the invitation here.
- APG is proud to introduce the 2019 Board of Directors. Read about our new leaders in the American Press article here.
- Driftwood LNG could produce up to 20,000 construction jobs and 500 permanent jobs, according to Bryan Beam and other local officials. Read the American Press story here.
- January 16, Lake Charles City Council approved zoning for a food hall downtown. Read the American Press story here.
We applaud Mayor Hunter for his dedication to fostering growth in Lake Charles and making great improvements to the city in the past year. Watch the video outlining Lake Charles’ accomplishments in 2018 here.
- December 8, APG would like to congratulate the following winners of the general election: Statewide: Kyle Ardoin, Secretary of State. Calcasieu Parish: Vic Salvador, City Marshall of Lake Charles; Fredman “Fred” Hardy, Jr., Member of Calcasieu Parish Schoolboard (District 2); Desmond Wallace, Member of Calcasieu Parish Schoolboard (District 14); Riley Smith, Mayor of DeQuincy; Paul Hesse, Mayor of Iowa. Jefferson Davis Parish: Roger D. “Tony” Laughlin, Mayor of Elton. Allen Parish: R.J. “Randy” Credeur, Alderman of Reeves; LaToya Tunwar, Council Member of Kinder (District 1). View results and more information at geauxvote.com.
- December 7, Calcasieu Parish Police Jury approves $35 million to finance new facilities for Family and Juvenile Court, Coroner’s Office, Animal Services and Juvenile Justice. See news story here.
- We are excited to announce Amanda is APG’s new intern working in the office. She is in her third year at McNeese State University. She is majoring in mass communication with minors in English and Spanish. She enjoys writing and working with digital media, including web design, digital art, and multimedia publishing.
MEETINGS & EVENTS:
- April 18, Doug Burguieres gave an update on the City of Lake Charles Land Use Plan and Kendig Keast Collaborative ordinance master plan project.
- April 3, LABI President and CEO Stephen Waguespack spoke about the upcoming legislative session at a luncheon hosted by the Chamber Southwest Louisiana.
- March 25, APG members attended the Opportunity Zone Panel Discussion hosted by the SWLA Economic Development Alliance. An Opportunity Zone is an economically high-risk community or area where certain new investments may be eligible for preferential tax treatment. Learn more about Louisiana Opportunity Zones here.
- March 23, APG exhibited at the 2019 SWLA Home Show presented by the Home Builders Association of SWLA.
- March 18, During the APG Permit/Inspection Committee Quarterly Meeting, members learned about the Calcasieu Parish Citizen Self Service Portal, presented by Dana Watkins, Calcasieu Parish Planning & Development Department. Users will soon be able to apply online and pay for permits, schedule and pay inspections, submit major and minor subdivisions, variances, and other construction and development related items. For more information visit the CPPJ website.
- March 2, APG members had a great time cooking and tasting at the 23rd Annual Mardi Gras Gumbo Cook-off! View photos from the event on our Facebook here.
- March 1, Members heard an update from Calcasieu Parish Administrator, Bryan Beam and assistant to Administrator, Alberto Galan on parishwide redistricting and new millage proposal for Spring 2020. View photos on our Facebook here.
- February 14, It was a full house for APG’s General Meeting. Guest speaker Keith DuRousseau gave an update on the efforts of the I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge Task Force. You can learn more about their recommendation by visiting Build our Bridge. Thank you to all who were in attendance! View photos from the meeting on our Facebook.
- February 4, APG members from the development community attended ‘listening sessions’ hosted by City of Lake Charles and Kendig Keast Collaborative. It was an opportunity to cross-share current issues, needs, and priorities relating to community growth as the city updates its planning and zoning documents.
- December 20, Joseph “Jay” A. Delafield, attorney at law discussed the Ad Valorem tax and Bryan Beam spoke about ITEP at APG general membership meeting. Click here to read the story on KPLC. Photos from the meeting can be viewed here.
- December 18, Calcasieu Parish Public Works/Stormwater Department held a stakeholders meeting with APG to update us on the progress of the Parish’s drainage initiative, which includes the Watershed study, Capital Project, and the proposed maintenance program.
- December 3, APG Holiday Sip & Support Membership Drive was held at Bodega Wine Dive. See photos from the event here.
I-10 BRIDGE INFORMATION:
- April 25, The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (LADOTD) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) conducted an open-forum public meeting which presented Preliminary Build Alternative (PBA) 5-G for the Calcasieu River Bridge. Project team members were available to explain the exhibits and answer questions. Read the I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge newsletter here.
- APG President Michael Hankins wrote a letter to the editor of the American Press in support of the I-10 Task Force. Read the letter here.
- As an organization, the Alliance for Positive Growth Board of Directors has pledged support to the I-10 Task Force and their recommendation for replacing the I-10 Calcasieu River Bridge. If you, as an individual or as a business, would like to support the task force’s efforts, they have provided a pre-drafted letter of support. You can download it here. Please email completed letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- February 15, Read the latest update on the new I-10 bridge on KPLC here.
- February 14, Read Jim Beam’s opinion piece on the I-10 bridge in the American Press here.
- January 27, Chamber SWLA’s reconstruction of the I-10 bridge would be funded by a bridge toll, which would be reduced for local drivers. Read the American Press story here.
- January 25, Chamber SWLA introduced a plan to replace the I-10 bridge, including six lanes, pedestrian walkways, and entrance and exit ramps into Westlake. Read more in the American Press here.